These croquettes are loaded with antioxidants and nutrients and amazingly delicious!
I always have a batch of mixed grains in the fridge, ready for use in a quick meal. I blend brown rice, barley and quinoa for their antioxidant and nutritional value.
The egg and Parmesan hold the croquettes together. All ingredients are already cooked except for the egg. Cook the patties long enough so the egg is thoroughly cooked.
For the cooking fat, I used 50% real butter and 50% ‘I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter’ spray to lower calories.
I use the excess-water method for cooking the grains. They always cook perfectly and the excess water extracts the naturally occurring arsenic from the brown rice. I use more barley than rice for its lower-calorie and higher-nutrition value.
- Bring a lot of water to a boil – triple the volume called for by cooking instructions.
- Salt water and add garlic powder. This will help flavor the grains while they cook.
- Once water is boiling, add ½ cup brown rice. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup barley. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Then add ½ cup quinoa. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until all grains are to your desired tenderness.
- Once done, drain well in a strainer. Let cool completely. Grain mixture can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Croquette Ingredients: (makes 6 croquettes)
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, cooked and finely chopped (I used PictSweet frozen spears, microwaved - easy peasy!)
- 2 cups cooked mixed grains (above)
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (raw)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Onion and garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat butter spray combo in a non-stick fry pan. Spoon 3 croquettes into the pan. Cook on medium heat. Rotate the patties so that all edges on the first side are equally golden brown.
Gently turn the croquettes over. Use a fork to hold them on the spatula during the flip so they don’t fall apart. Cook the second side. Again, rotate so all edges are crispy. Make sure egg is thoroughly cooked through the thickness of the patties.
Once done, remove from pan, plate and devour! Spoon the remaining 3 patties into the pan. Repeat the cooking instructions, as above.
To download this recipe, 'right click' here, and save to your computer.